I know from experience that when you have met a person who is interested in your services, and would like to talk to you further about the ways in which you can potentially help them, you only have a very small window of opportunity to contact them before they go and find someone else to do the same job!
Sometimes the reasons we don’t follow up with potential clients/customers is because it isn’t the most enjoyable thing to do and we would much rather be doing something else that doesn’t have the potential for rejection!
The trouble is we all know that without those follow up calls or emails our businesses are in the fear of becoming extinct , clients, customers and projects are what bring us the money to be able to pay for the roof over our heads and the food in our bellies.
We need to get rid of the fear to be able to move our businesses forward, and start looking at client/customer follow ups as a positive way to gain new jobs and start working with interesting people.
Here are a few good reasons to do that follow up call or email.
- This person has met me and wants to learn more about the services I provide.
- Meeting them not only gives me the chance to make a new “business” friend but also gets another person talking about my business.
- Taking this meeting over coffee can be the opportunity to eat cake!!
- If they find they are not in need of my services they may know of someone that does.
- Any meeting out of the office is not a lost as it gets us home office types out of the house for an hour or two.
- Finding a regular place to have your meetings can mean a whole new avenue of contacts as the proprietor or staff may know people who need your services
Now there is a reason to eat cake! Make sure you are making those follow ups with potential clients/customers a number one priority.